There’s nothing like a warm bowl of soup on a crisp October day. And the (amazing!) cheese straws from J&M Foods in our October box had us craving tomato soup. This thick and earthy version includes rosemary and garlic, plus heart-healthy chickpeas for a heartier soup full of protein. Combine a few simple ingredients and in under an hour you’ll be ready for the perfect fall feast.
Hearty Tomato Soup With Chickpeas and Rosemary
Adapted from Once Upon a Tart… by Frank Mentesana & Jerome Audureau
4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
40 oz strained tomatoes
2 15oz cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
pinch of sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 cups of vegetable stock
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Peel and roughly chop garlic. Remove needles from rosemary spring (discard the stems), and roughly chop needles.
- Add chopped rosemary & garlic to the pot. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. This flavors the oil, and will lend a rich flavor to the soup. Just be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the remaining ingredients: tomatoes, chickpeas, sugar, salt, pepper, and vegetable stock
- Turn the heat up to high, and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, partially cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove from heat and puree with a immersion blender. (If you don’t have an immersion blender: let the soup cool, then ladle into a blender or food processor to puree. Reheat before serving).
- Serve soup alongside J&M Original Cheese Straws.