Sure, a lot of us pride ourselves on knowing where our food comes from, but how much do you really know about the crazy stories behind even the simplest foods? You’re about to know just a little more.
1. Apples, pears and plums are in the same plant family as roses.
Flickr user judy dean
I don’t even know what to make of this.
2. Puffer fish are edible, but only when cooked correctly. Its flesh contains a poison 1,200 times deadlier than cyanide.
Flickr user Saad Alafaliq
Nope nope nope nope nope.
3. ALL FRUIT LOOPS ARE THE SAME FLAVOR. WHAT IS LIFE.
Flickr user csm_web
4. The name “spam” wasn’t just made up – it’s short for spiced ham.
Flickr user freezelight
So simple. So genius. It’s simnius.
5. Not getting enough water? Eat a cucumber – they’re made of a whopping 96% water.
Flickr user MDMallett
So cucumber water is basically water IN water?
6. And how about antioxidants? You immediately think blueberries, right? Turns out oregano has 4 times more antioxidants.
Flickr user cookbookman17
7. Think turkey is the ultimate food coma-inducing food? Wrong. Egg whites have way more tryptophan.
Flickr user pj_vanf
My life is a LIE.
8. Tired of the same old spaghetti? There are over 600 pasta shapes produced in the world today. Good luck making that choice.
Flickr user moonlightbulb
You could have a different one every day for like a YEAR AND A HALF.
9. Human beings are born naturally craving sugar. So that third slice of cake is basically just human nature.
Flickr user viviandnguyen_
Don’t fight against nature, people.
10. The food that is shoplifted most often across the world is cheese.
Flickr user xJason.Rogersx
Because duh. You know how brie tastes, right?
What are some other crazy food facts that blow your mind? Tell us in the comments below!