Often when we eat because of our feelings (I’m SOOO STRESSED!) or perceive certain desires as food “cravings,” it’s a direct result of stress. But other times, when we’ve written off diving head-first into a Cup O’ Noodles (and every condiment left in the office pantry), it’s more likely that we’ve skipped a meal, didn’t eat enough or the right combo of nutrients at the meals we actually did eat, and/or didn’t use some crucial tools we need to stay on track.
In initial sessions with clients, I always find that one of these three reasons (or a combination of all three in the same day!) fuels overeating, or tricks people into believing that they have “no willpower” or “can’t stop eating” (trust me, no one’s office vending machine is truly amazing enough to when really it’s got absolutely zero to do with anything!). I call these the “3 T’s:” Timing of your meals and snacks; Type of foods/nutrients to eat to help you feel satisfied, and Tools—the accountability strategies you can use to keep yourself on track and making choices that support your personal goals. Here are the details:
- Truth: You need to eat. Every three to four hours. Regular snacking is the key to sticking with Right-Now Rule #1. In order to actually do this, you have to know your daily calendar and recognize some details about your daily schedule so you can plan ahead for any potential stretches of time that could lead you to skip a meal or a snack. But since timing is now a huge component of how you’re going to stop using the will- power crutch to “power through” your day and starve until you can face-plant into happy hour snacks, you have to make eating regularly a priority. How do you do that? Use the alarm clock on your phone. Have a little “ding” go off every four hours (max) to remind you that it’s time to snack. This is also a tremendously helpful tool if you (a) need to pee during a presentation, (b) cannot listen to Bob from accounting talk about pension for another second, or (c) want to check social media because it’s been four f*cking hours, Bob. Can we wrap this up? Keeping snacks on hand will help you make it through. Not to mention there are a number of helpful resources out there to get gift boxes and care packages sent straight to your doorstep.
- The foods you need to eat to keep your energy up (and your brain away from believing you “have no willpower”). When it comes to your plate, here’s how you’re going to start designing your meals and thinking about lunch and dinner—no matter where you are in the world and whatever else you’re doing, your plate can and will look this way: mostly veggies (at least 50 percent, but vegetables are an unlimited food for you—so fill ’er up!); lean protein, like fish, seafood, poultry, lean cuts of beef, eggs, tofu; some carbs from beans, lentils, chickpeas, peas (those are top preferences), or starchy veggies (tubers and other potatoes, whole grains). There should also be some good hearty fats on your plate, so you can actually stay satisfied throughout the day: avocado; seeds or nuts (about 1⁄4 to 1⁄3 cup, or a 1-ounce pack, on top of whatever you’re eating); cheese (because it makes everything better, and also packs up to 9 g protein per 1-ounce serving).
- What you need to make sure you hold yourself accountable. Keep a list in your phone of three go-to places from which you can always grab and go with a nutritious meal that combines all the things listed above under “Type.” Use a food-delivery app on your phone to save meal options that can be reordered. This is a brilliant tool to use with the intent of sticking to a healthful eating plan for a given meal during the day rather than scrolling through options and ultimately choosing a huge serving of cheese fries. But more than anything, before you dive into a vending-machine induced food coma, ask yourself the following: Am I thirsty? Even if you’re not feeling completely parched, have a cup or two (8–16 oz) of water, seltzer, or a hot bev like tea or coffee. It’ll help you decide what’s next if you can at least rule out that what you’re actually “craving” is simple hydration. Am I legitimately hungry? Did your exercise schedule change? Did you skip any meals today? How big was your breakfast? Know where you are so you can hack your habits for next time. Am I exhausted? If you can nap at the office, then definitely take advantage of that! But if you can’t: Time for some caffeine—300-400mg/day is a sweet-spot for most of us and recommended by the USDA/DHHS Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
A GUIDE TO SMARTER SNACKING THROUGH YOUR LOVE WITH FOOD BOX
An assortment of snacks can also replace less nutritious burger‐and‐fries or sandwiches stuffed with processed meats. Try combos like these:
Use these with (about) 1-3 high protein snacks to add fiber:
- When you need something sweet:
- Dried Fruit + Mixes (examples: Peeled Snacks; Sahale Snacks packs and mixes; Mavuno Harvest dried mango, jackfruit, pineapple, or mixes; Sunsweet unsweetened dried snacks (apricots, prunes, apples, pears); Stoneridge Orchards Montmorency Unsweetened Dried Cherries)
- When you’re out of sandwich bread:
- Crackers + Crisps (examples: La Panzanella Multigrain Croccantini Crackers; Salmas Oven Baked Corn Cracker; Kashi 7 Grain Sea Salt Crackers; Wasa Crisp n Light Rye Crackers or Whole Grain Crispbread; Dr. Kracker Seedlander Crisps; Mary’s Gone Crackers Seed Crackers)
- When you just need a little crunch:
- Puffed Snacks + Nuts + Roasted Beans + Cheese Snacks (examples: Hippeas Chickpea Puffs; Zouq Golden Lentil Snacks; Biena Roasted Chickpea Snacks; Saffron Road Crunchy Chickpeas; Watusee Popped Chickpeatos; Madi K Almonds; Mooncheese; Just The Cheese Crunchy Baked Cheese Snacks; The Daily Crave Veggie Chips)
- When lunch is early (and you kinda want breakfast):
- Granola + Oatmeal Cups (examples: Bakery on Main Granola Snack Packs; Bob’s Red Mill Oatmeal Cups; thinkThin Protein & Fiber Oatmeal Bowls; Nature’s Path Flax Granola; Munk Pack Oatmeal Fruit Squeeze; Purely Elizabeth Ancient Grain Granola)
Use these to add to 1-3 higher-fiber snacks or meals (like leftover veggies from dinner, salad or soup at your desk, etc.) or on their own for a <200-calorie solo snack:
- Crunchy: Seapoint Farms Dry Roasted Edamame; SuperSeedz 1-ounce Packs; Saffron Road Crunchy Chickpea Snacks; Biena Snacks 1.5-ounce Snack Packs; Watusee Foods Chickpeatos; Manitoba Harvest Toasted Hemp Seeds
- Creamy: Barney Butter; Justin’s Nut Butters; Sunbutter Cups; WOWBUTTER; SuperFat Nut Butters
- Bars (~100 CALS): That’s It, Larabar Mini’s, Health Warrior Chia Bars, Kashi Chewy Bars, Perfect Bar Minis
- BARS (~200 CALS): RXBARS, Redd Bars, Quest Bars, Kashi Nut Butter Bars, Nature Valley Peanut Butter Granola or Protein Bars, Kind Nuts and Spices or Protein Bars, thinkThin Protein & Fiber Bars, That’s It Bites, Larabar, Perfect Bar in Cranberry Crunch
You know how sometimes in the middle of a hectic workday you just need someone to TELL YOU WHAT TO DO?! Same. Try these snack-combos turned mini-meals:
- I Love Sweets! Can I Make a Meal Out of Sweet Snacks? 1 Sargento Balanced Break + 1 piece of fruit + Justin’s Peanut Butter; 1 pack Sahale Snacks (1.5 ounces) + hard‐boiled egg (2) + frozen/fresh berries
- Savory Only, Please! Hummus Snack Pack + 1 part‐skim String Cheese + 100‐calorie Almond Packs; Stuff’d Grape Leaves + Peeled Snacks Dried Pineapple + 1 ounce pistachios pack
- All in One Sneal (a snack meal)! GoPicnic Premade To‐Go Lunch Packs; Peanut Butter & Co. To‐Go Lunch Packs; Horizon Organic Good & Go Lunch Packs = all premade options that serve as healthier versions of old‐fashioned lunchboxes!
- I Want a Sandwich! High‐Fiber cracker (Wasa/Mary’s Gone Crackers) + Barney Butter Almond Butter + 1 apple, pear, or banana (sliced) + 1 crudité cup with a side dip + 1 Babybel cheese
- Okay, but What About Snack-Fast (a snack breakfast)? hard‐boiled eggs + fruit salad + crackers to go (2) + 2 tablespoons peanut butter + 16 ounces nonfat milk with cinnamon and cocoa.
For more info: www.dressingonthesidebook.com
Hi everyone! I’ve just thought about the importance and necessity of outsourcing in today’s situation when Coronavirus is gaining momentum. A lot of companies fired a part of their staff, but the work volume did not shortened. That is why I think whether it is safe to outsource app development today or not. I’ll be very glad to hear from you some piece of advice.
Nuts are my favorite snack at work.
I do not want to make sandwiches, I prefer to bring nutritious complete meals for lunch. But during the day I need a snack and I always choose nuts. Almonds and cashews are my favorites.
I don’t snack. Sadly I have never snacked. I only eat once a day, sometimes not at all! Well after reading this I will be snacking & eating every four hours. I want to be healthy, & like it was said we only have one life. I guess I forgot that food is nutrition so thank you for reminding us that we need to eat & snack.
Hi, I’m looking for food blogger.
Can anyone join with us.
Daily you have to post recipes or about hotel menu ( including cocktail,snacks)
hasil keluaran togel singapore terbaik dan togel singapore paling relevan untuk membantu para member dalam mencari angka keluaran tercepat pada saat result togel.
i am one of those people who love to eat and party but after reading this blog i will surely start to work on few things to stay fit and eat healthy food and take good care of nutrition which iam taking.
Teşekkür ederiz 🙂 parfume konusunda da yardımcılarınızı beklemekteyiz bizler lovewithfood
I will try and practice it later, hopefully.
What a great content. Keep it dude!
Nice Share dude, you good at write.
Thanks for sharing these information.
Nice article and really insipirate for us and you won’t Yelieve just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks! you can visit my site too
Thanks for sharing this tasty content.
Thank you so much for sharing such a nice blog! Keep it up.
I like to meals, cause i think can make your stress go away, so let’s meals 😉
Read it again and found it very awesome. Thanks for this.
Only foodies like me will love to share this post. Awesome.
Nice blog! Full of informative ideas. Thank you, keep sharing.
the best post for example to my family, also visit our site at paitopools
There are many antivirus software like avast which works on multiple platforms like Windows, iOS, Android, and so on. There are several ways to uninstall avast antivirus from your device.
Over the years HP printers have come with better and improved technologies. And one of the most recent technologies in HP Printers is the use of e-prints. So let us look into the details of these advanced techniques. And if you come across any doubts or want to know more about e-prints then contact HP Printer Customer Support.
Chinese restaurants are becoming more popular. One unique thing about them is that they have varieties. There is no way you won’t find what you can eat.
Well i believe that we need to think more healthy for our life . And this healthy work starts from office first. As we spend most of the time in our offices and from this place only we put out eating habbits. This blog already talked about various heathy habbits. i will try these food recipe to breing more healthy habbits in life. because there is only one life and it is important.
Nowadays in the life of this race no one has time to take care of health. The solution of which is given in this blog. How can we take care of our health using some good and healthy snacks. Such information is very much needed. Our team thanks you very much for this. And pleads with you that you keep writing such blogs time to time.
Nice post dear keep it up
Great post. being working doesn’t mean, you keep your hunger needs aside. My favorite kind of snacks are all different kind of fruits(apple, oranges, grapes, banana) with a delicious flavored drink. I keep some flavored coffee pods in my office desk always. They are my most favorites.
Ja anotei aqui todas as dicas de lanches que posso levar para meu serviço!
Will definitely share this to my son. Makes my life easier. Thank you.
I am a terrible snacker. Thanks for the tips.
Gostei desse artigo, amo demais seu blog, continuie assim!
With all the fast food restaurants around, getting a good meal at affordable price is easy now. Even if your want regional cuisine like Indian food, Mexican food or Chinese food, they are readily available
It is difficult not to snack sometimes. Why not do it in a garden shed at the bottom of your garden.